My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

I know a lot of folks have been debating -- and debating, and debating -- the quality and purpose of so-called "embedded reporting." I'm of a few minds on the subject.
On the one hand, I agree wholeheartedly with Jonah Goldberg, who swears up and down that the embeds from the print media are far better than the television journalists. The print stories -- in the New York Times, Washington Post, and so forth -- are just so damned vivid. And say what you will about Big Print Media's propensity to editorialize in news pieces; it just ain't happening out there in the field. It's super-cool, I think.
Check this piece in the Times from Steven Lee Myers -- it's great. Also this piece in the Post, and if you have the time, read about Matt Labash's exploits with one Christopher Hitchens (my hero!) in The Weekly Standard.
On the other hand, there's nothing quite like seeing pictures of things happening halfway around the world in real time. Problem is, they seldom seem to be able to catch the really juicy stuff.

No comments: