My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States

Friday, March 06, 2009

An Embarrassing Admission, A Startling Discovery

I'm in no way proud of this fact, but, from time to time, I watched the past season of The Bachelor.
Go ahead. Mock me. I deserve it, and I'll wait for the sharp cries of ridicule to die down.
Finished? Good.
Now, I could take the obvious tack here and blame my wife, saying something lame, like "Well, she was watching it, and it was on, and..." And while that might be the case, I'm not going to do that.
Instead, I'd like to direct your attention to the fact that I've discovered why the program is so popular. It's not the lavish sets, or the romantic dates, or the pretty people, or any of the reasons that you might guess.
It's the language they use.
Never before have I seen a show that traffics so heavily in cliche, both visual and verbal. It's really astounding to think this, but I don't think, in the (sadly, many) episodes I caught, that I ever heard an original sentiment or thought. Instead, it was all, "I have to follow my heart," and "You have to do what's right for you," and "We still make each other laugh," and "I wish her nothing but the best."
First of all, gag.
Now, I'm overlooking a lot that's wrong with the show in order to draw attention to this one facet. Like how the truncated timeline imposed by the show (fall in love in six weeks or less!) is probably creating unrealistic expectations for actual human, non-TV relationships. Or how the dependence on lavish dates, vacations to the South Seas, and helicopter rides is making women ignore the fucking awesomeness of a burger and a beer. I agree, these are major problems with the show.
But none of these so aptly showcases the vapidity of the contestants as does the over-reliance on Hallmark-esque quasi-sentiment. And mark my words, if you continue to watch this, and other, "reality" programs, that vapidity will soon come for you.
Just don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: