My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Your Honor, I'd Like That Remark Stricken From The Record



In what could be called Part Two of my ongoing "Linguistics of Anger" series, I'd like to submit the following the proposal -- we need to remove certain terms from our collective vocabulary, lest these offending terms mutate, multiply, and moronify us all.

It's not exactly the writing of the Newspeak dictionary here. I'm not suggesting that we remove words associated with insults, off-color jokes, or stereotypes. In fact, I think those terms are sort the spice of our language.Instead, I'm talking about words that are so overused or ubiquitous that they've lost any punch or meaning or cleverness. Just consider me some sort of thesaurus-obsessed Hannah Arendt, railing against the banality of language.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/25200_f260.jpg

Anyway, that's enough of an explanation. I'm sure these boring, tired descriptors, adjectives, adverbs, clauses and phrases will fairly jump out at you and you'll flood me with your letters of agreement.

1) "Rockstar" -- When a want-ad claims to be looking for a "rockstar of the accounting world," you know that the term's common usage had strayed a bit from its original meaning. Maybe my cultural memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall the term entering our lexicon through the phrase "party like a rockstar." Right? Well, you're free to disagree with me, but at least in that phrasing, no adeptness or skill (other than at partying) is implied or suggested. So how does the term "rockstar" somehow come to mean "one who exceptionally skilled at something." Besides, any actual rockstar referred to as such isn't usually immediately associated with virtuosity. Bret Michaels -- rockstar. Neil Peart -- not so much.

2) "24/7" -- Yes, we all know that there are 24 hours in a day, and that seven of said days make up one week. Put them together, and that makes...wait, let's see...ALL THE TIME! I get it! But this way of describing "all the time" is getting pretty old. When the disembodied voice that intones "...and by a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation" between pieces on All Things Considered also uses "24/7" to describe solutions or advice offered and available, it's pretty much lost its edge. And therefore, its usefulness to me. And hopefully to you.

3) "Sick" -- When used to mean "cool" or "neat" or "good," this term is not to be used by anyone over 16, or by anyone who doesn't have a surfboard under their arm. Also, these same people should not be wearing LA/NY baseball hats with stickers still on the bill. You know who are you. You know because you're wearing a basketball jersey with a white t-shirt under it, and you're 35.

4) "Cougar" -- As used to refer to "a sexually rapacious woman of a certain age." Hey, Real Housewives of Orange County, New York City, Atlanta, St. Louis, Portland, Riverside, and wherever the fuck else they're planning on taking this horrible show -- "cougar" isn't a compliment in my book.

Well, I've got many, many more words that make me mad -- in fact, there are probably more words I hate more than words I love, and I'm aware that this fact makes me sound like a giant, angry Poindexter -- but that's all the rage I can muster for right now. I've got quality Bravo programming to watch.

No comments: