My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States

Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Well, kids, I've repeatedly tried to post an email I received from my friend Mike the Pole, but Blogger is telling me it's a no go. Soemthing about unsupported characters, except I can't find which they're referring to.
Bummer. It's a great letter, written in response (sort of an after-the-fact response, actually) to someone in a class of his. We've all had the same experience -- you get all worked up in a debate, and the person you're arguing with refuses to continue the debate because they know you're right. I hate that.
Or, even worse, the person you're debating (who most likely asked you to explain yourself in the first place -- that's what lefties do, you know.) refuses to answer your questions at all, instead opting to stick to the talking points and run around the real issues. Jonah Goldberg, in fact, provides this brilliant radio clip that shows exactly that. (I don't know where it's from.) An unnamed "peace activist" shucks and dodges one simple question from an Iraqi exile -- he asks "How does leaving Saddam Hussein in power in Iraq promote peace and justice?"
It's pretty remarkable. It's lengthy, but listen to the lengths to which the activist goes to avoid answering the real question. Moreover, she purports to be able to tell the caller the real situation in Iraq -- she lectures him, even though he is from Iraq and still has family there.
Listen to the whole thing.

No comments: